For today's update, we will cover Other Logistics, and specifically, the Calendar and Schedule, which we finalized this week.
The one main difference in our calendar from other school systems, independent schools and parochial schools is that we will have a Fall Break, like many colleges do. Many independent schools have two weeks of Spring Break, which we decided to split it up between the fall and the spring. Additionally, the weeks were chosen so that our teachers have the opportunity to attend various national conferences for professional development that are scheduled to take place during those two weeks.
- First Day of School: Tuesday, September 8, 2015
- Columbus Day Holiday: Monday, October 12, 2015
- Teacher Workday and Parent Conferences: Friday, November 6, 2015
- Fall Break: Monday - Friday, November 9-13, 2015
- Thanksgiving Holiday: Wednesday - Friday, November 25-27, 2015
- Winter Break: December 21 - January 1, 2016
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday: Monday, January 18, 2016
- Teacher Workday and Parent Conferences: Thursday - Friday, January 28 - 29, 2016
- President's Day: Monday, February 15, 2016
- Spring Break: March 28 - April 1, 2016
- Memorial Day: Monday, May 30, 2016
- Last Day of School: Wednesday, June 10, 2016
- Optional Annual School Trip: Monday - Friday, June 13 - 17, 2016
School hours have also been finalized and are from 8:30 am to 3:55 pm and the optional activity period runs from 4:05 pm to 5:15 pm. This is later than we initially published, but with the number of studies on children's need for sleep, we decided to start the day 30 minutes later.
Each grade's schedule will be finalized this summer, when we have final enrollment. Here is a sample schedule.
To wrap up the schedule portion of this week's update, we will have transportation for up to 10 children to and from Oakton. The tentative drop-off/pick-up location is the Oakton Library. The van will leave at 8:05 am and will return by 5:45 pm.
Have a great weekend!