Upper Elementary Session 2 (Grades 4th - 6th; $2000)
Tuition: $2000 for the 4-week session ($100 nonrefundable deposit)
Dates: Monday - Friday, July 18 - August 13 (4 weeks)
Time: 8:30 am - 3:30 pm
Location: Ideaventions, 12340 Pinecrest Rd, Reston, VA
Grades: rising 4th - 6th (must be at least rising 4th grade; younger students' registrations will automatically be cancelled)
Session 2 Description (4 weeks; July 18 - Aug 13)
Ready for a journey full of fun, creativity, and hands-on building and experimenting! Starting with Extreme Engineering, discover the engineering design behind structural marvels of the world! Study the architecture of bridges, skyscrapers, geodesic domes, tunnels, dams, gliders and more while experimenting to see how different materials respond to stress and strain. In the lab, we create our own extreme structures and use the engineering cycle (design, build, test, modify) to discover the best, most efficient design! A camp favorite, week two is Chemical Reactions! Don your lab coat and grab a beaker, this is a week-long exploration of chemistry, full of awe-inspiring chemical reactions and experiments. Explore the nature and properties of matter, hands-on! The last week of the session we ratchet up the excitement with Architecture: Supporting Tamagotchi Life. Animal lovers everywhere - bring the digital world to life in this week where imagination meets engineering. Explorers bring their Tamagotchi (digital pet) to life by designing and engineering a home and furniture for them. Explore principles in design and styles of architecture in this creative, hands-on journey. Throughout the week, students will care for their Tamagotchi, while imagining and architecting their habitat. We end Session 2 with Escape Room Design: Spider Man Style. Over the course of the week we use science, engineering, and logic skills to make and break puzzles. Together we apply our creativity to design and build an escape room based on inspiration from the world of Spider Man. Our week concludes with an escape room challenge. Will you make it out?
Choice of Literature or Math & Logic Option: Students participating in the camp will have one choice class each day. This can be either a literature or math & logic class.
- Students selecting the Literature enrichment will read and have a daily book club where they will discuss the following books related to the theme of the week: The Lemonade War, Wayside School Is Falling Down, Three Times Lucky, 42 Is Not Just a Number.
- Students selecting the Math/Logic option will warm up with a challenging problem or set (Math Olympiads), then build our logic and math skills through critical thinking games and logic puzzles.
- Can’t I just sign up for 1-week? No, unfortunately, to reduce risk, we are holding extended sessions so the same students come each week and we avoid introducing new students each week. We want to be able to offer in-person programs and we feel this could help minimize risk to students and teachers.
- What happens if my child gets sick and can't attend for 2 weeks? If your child gets sick and is not able to attend camp for an extended period of time (more than 1 week), please provide a doctor's note, and we will refund the prorated amount based on the time attended.
- What happens if my child needs to be quarantined for two weeks? If your child needs to quarantine and is not able to attend camp for an extended period of time (more than 1 week), please provide a doctor's note, and we will refund the prorated amount based on the time attended/missed. Due to the very hands-on nature of the program, we won't be able to have a concurrent virtual access to camp. Note: we will not be able to refund tuition for non-COVID illness, vacation, or other events. Of course, if there is a serious family issue, please call and speak with Mr. Ryan (co-founder).
- Withdrawals and Refunds: If you need to withdraw from a course, please send an email to email@example.com requesting the withdrawal. We will not process withdrawals from voicemails. Refunds minus the $100 non-refundable fee can be processed prior to June 1. After June 1, refunds minus the $100 non-refundable fee can be processed if we are able to fill the spot in the course. We appreciate your understanding, as this is a small program, and we make commitments to our faculty for their summer.