Honors U.S. History 1 ($2000)
Location: In-person; 12340 Pinecrest Road, #100, Reston, VA 20191
Date: June 20 - July 29, 2022 (no class on 7/4)
Time: 9 am - 1 pm
Ages: Rising 9th - rising 12th graders*
High School Credit: 1 credit**
Faculty: Hugh Gardner
Description: This seminar-style, in-depth study of American history stresses primary sources and utilizes superior replica, reproduction, and authentic period weapons, accoutrements, and artifacts, as well as posters, maps, music, artwork, and historical games. Students will learn to interpret historical events through primary-source analysis and to explore history through problem solving and challenges and the study of historical artifacts and games.
Topics of study to be covered, include:
- The Atlantic Maritime World – Explorers, Fishermen, Treasure Fleets, Privateers, and PIRATES
- The Iroquois and Algonquin People of the Eastern Woodlands – before and after European contact
- The French and Indian Wars – the long struggle for the future of the continent
- “Pontiac’s Rebellion”
- The Road to Revolution
- The Revolutionary War
- The New Republic and its Curiosities (time permitting)
* Rising 8th graders who have demonstrated the academic maturity for the class may be considered.
** Due to the condensed nature of the class, students missing more than three class periods will not be able to take the class for credit.
Admission: These courses are high-school level courses taught by faculty of Ideaventions Academy for Math and Science. Students from other schools (or homeschool) wishing to enroll in the course require permission to enroll and should contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Courses require that the student demonstrates the academic preparation, emotional maturity and work habits to successfully complete a high-school level course.
Registration: Students may pre-register and the registration will be processed after permission to join the course has been approved. If the registration is not approved, the amount paid will be refunded in full.
Withdrawals and Refunds:
- If you need to withdraw from a course, please send an email to email@example.com requesting the withdrawal. We will not process withdrawals from voicemails.
- Refunds minus the $100 non-refundable fee can be processed prior to June 1. After June 1, refunds minus the $100 non-refundable fee can be processed if we are able to fill the spot in the course.