Upper Elementary Session 1 (Grades 4th - 6th; $1500)
Tuition: $1500 for the 3-week session ($100 nonrefundable deposit)
Dates: Monday - Friday, June 20 - July 8 (3 weeks); *no camp on Monday, 7/4
Time: 8:30 am - 3:30 pm
Location: Ideaventions, 12340 Pinecrest Rd, Reston, VA
Grades: rising 4th - 6th (must be at least rising 4th grade; younger students' registrations will automatically be cancelled)
Session 1 Description:
Join us for 3-weeks of science-focused adventure and fun! Starting with Operation Spy, uncover the science behind the gadgets and methods used by top secret spies. This camp is a kids-favorite - changing each year and always guided by an imaginative, unique storyline and clues. Can the spies-in-training track down the enemy agent? The undercover adventure includes building our own spy gear, learning to make and break codes, experiment with chemical reactions as part of spy training, and use engineering and design skills to complete our secret missions. Microscopic World is our focus for Week 2 as we explore the invisible, microscopic world around them! Learn about the power of microscopes and investigate the microscopic universe including crystals, protists, bacteria, cells, flowers, and fungi. Using our hands, we will model atoms and molecules and perform experiments to examine evidence and effects of these microscopic marvels. In Week 3, we don our lab coats in Inventors Lab. Eureka! Love to invent?! Create your own inventions, recreate versions of the most important inventions in the world's history , and try your hand at conducting famous experiments. Travel back in time, as we invent in our laboratories. What problem will your invention solve? What new inventions await? Amazing discoveries are welcome each day as we learn about inventors, inventions, and use the engineering design process to create our own unique solutions to problems.
Choice of Literature or Math & Logic Option: Students participating in the camp will have one choice class each day. This can be either a literature or math & logic class.
- Students selecting the Literature enrichment will read and have a daily book club where they will discuss the following books related to the theme of the week: The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora, The Capture (Guardians of Ga'hoole), The Hundred Dresses.
- Students selecting the Math/Logic option will warm up with a challenging problem or set (Math Olympiads), then build our logic and math skills through critical thinking games and logic puzzles.
- Can’t I just sign up for 1-week? No, unfortunately, to reduce risk, we are holding extended sessions so the same students come each week and we avoid introducing new students each week. We want to be able to offer in-person programs and we feel this could help minimize risk to students and teachers.
- What happens if my child gets sick and can't attend for 2 weeks? If your child gets sick and is not able to attend camp for an extended period of time (more than 1 week), please provide a doctor's note, and we will refund the prorated amount based on the time attended.
- What happens if my child needs to be quarantined for two weeks? If your child needs to quarantine and is not able to attend camp for an extended period of time (more than 1 week), please provide a doctor's note, and we will refund the prorated amount based on the time attended/missed. Due to the very hands-on nature of the program, we won't be able to have a concurrent virtual access to camp. Note: we will not be able to refund tuition for non-COVID illness, vacation, or other events. Of course, if there is a serious family issue, please call and speak with Mr. Ryan (co-founder).
- Withdrawals and Refunds: If you need to withdraw from a course, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting the withdrawal. We will not process withdrawals from voicemails. Refunds minus the $100 non-refundable fee can be processed prior to June 1. After June 1, refunds minus the $100 non-refundable fee can be processed if we are able to fill the spot in the course. We appreciate your understanding, as this is a small program, and we make commitments to our faculty for their summer.